Details are announced now and we are in the project discussion phase. We encourage you to discuss you application with the project community.
In order to apply we ask that you create:
- a list of deliverables, quantifiable results for the Palisadoes community,
- a detailed description / design document,
- an approach,
- an approximate schedule and
- something of a background text.
- We also need you to let us know what other commitments you have for the coding period, for example, do you have any exams or a part time job? In other words – sell yourselves, as if this was an actual job.
In drawing up your proposal you should work with your chosen projects community.
One of our evaluation criteria is that you have already engaged with the community to ensure that you understand the needs of the project and the commitment you need to make to your mentors.
One measure of engagement is your contribution to pull requests (PRs):
- Persons who have engaged with a meaningful pull request (PR) for features or bug fixes will be given a higher preference.
- Some of our issues are labeled
points 10offering 1, 2, 5 and 10 points to your application. Consider tackling these issues in your PRs.
- Consider working on other existing issues too.
- If you cannot find a suitable idea, feature or bug for a pull request, don't worry. We know our code needs refactoring. You can propose optimizations for scalability, readability and more. Use a PR to show your capabilities in this area. These PRs will be given less weight.
We may limit the number of issues assigned to you to allow others to participate. Ideally you should be working on no more than two issues at a time.
We may give shortlisted candidates short code challenges to confirm our final decisions.
It is important to review the following online documents in this section when creating your proposal.
- Review the
Ideas Listwe have for inspiration. If you have other ideas, let us know!
- Take a look at the
Selection Criteriawe use and ensure your proposal matches our needs.
- Take guidance on the format and content of your proposal from the
Feedback on Your Draft Proposal
Get feedback on your draft application proposal at:
Submitting Your Final Proposal
Submit your final applications on the GitHub Externship website.